Friday, August 19, 2005

Yosemite Road Trip

My parents were divorced when I was quite young. My mom always went to great lengths to ensure I didn't feel any lack due to her being a single mom. So, when I was about 8, she took me on a "family" trip to Yosemite. She packed me into her 1970's WV bug and we hit the open road. Now, if you have ever driven to Yosemite know that there is a portion of road that becomes a two lane, very steep climb that winds up a mountain. I thought it was great! I plastered my face to the passenger window and exclaimed, "wow! Look how far down it is!" Little did I know that my mother, being terrified of heights was gripping the steering wheel, white knuckled and trying desparetely to ignore the steep drop off and just keep driving. "BE QUIET AND SIT DOWN."

We finally got to Yosemite and pulled into the parking lot at the Awahni (sp?) Hotel. It was, and still is, a very fancy hotel, but the significance of the place was lost on me. "When can we go to the pool?"

The next morning we had breakfast in this great dining room. All I could say though is, "mom, there are only old people here."

At the hotel pool, I was the only kid, and quickly got board paddling around by myself. Again, I asked, "mom? Where are the other kids? There are only old people here."

I think mom got tired of my complaints at the pool so we headed off for a valley tour. Now this was fun! We saw deer, a big waterfall, big trees and BIG rocks. This was MUCH more fun than that place with all the "old" people. Still on the tour, we passed by the other hotel in the valley. As we turned the corner, this other hotel's pool came in to view. It was *packed* with kids! Laughing, playing and screaming kids. "Mom?! Why couldn't we stay *there* instead of that place with all the old people??"

It all goes to show, how great a place is really is a matter of perspective. My poor mom. Looking back now, as an adult, I can appreciate how much effort she put into that trip for me.


Jennifer Blake

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home